Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 11: Famous Last Words

The semester has gone by so quickly! Week 11 has already come and passed. As the temperature has dropped lower and lower this week, I have found myself looking forward to winter break more and more. Winter has always been my favorite season growing up. I hope it snows this year!

In physics lab this week, we continued our exploration into the field of optics. We used a light source and many different mediums to see how the travel of light changed depending on the composition of the material. Organic Lab was much more unfortunate this week, as our lab involved using diethyl ether, a very, very smelly compound. I don't think the stench will ever leave my notebook.

 

(Robin Hood: Wikimedia Commons)
For my weekly reading in Mythology and Folklore this week, I chose to read the classic Ballads of Robin Hood. Next to Aesop's fables, this has been my favorite reading of the year. One of my favorite tales from this reading was The Ranger. In this ballad of Robin Hood, Robin Hood treks through the forest one day in search of a deer to hunt to bring back for himself and his merry men. While trekking through the woods, however, Robin Hood finds himself amongst a ranger, who informs him that the deer of the forest belong to the king and threaten that if Robin Hood kills one of the deer, he shall attack. Robin Hood rejects the words of the ranger, saying that he has hunted in the forest for years, and will not be stopped. The two men engage in combat with their swords, fighting evenly for three hours! How exhausting! Eventually, Robin Hood's men appear, but instead of killing the Ranger, Robin Hood offers him a place in his ranks. I think my favorite aspect of this story is the two men becoming friends after gaining each others respect in combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment