Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

The first story book that caught my attention was Robin of Sherwood: Sherwood's Side of the Story I've always been a fan of various robin hood tales, and I thought it would be interesting to see this classic story told from a different perspective. I was certainly surprised to see in this version that it wasn't the people of Sherwood telling the story, but Sherwood itself! I think the authors inclusion as the forest as an ally of Robin Hood and his men was a fantastic new take on a classic story. I really enjoyed the added character of Major Oak.

Scrolling down the story book list, another story caught my eye: The Deep, the Dark, and the Unknown: H.P. Lovecraft From a long list of fairy tales, the title of this storybook certainly stuck out! This storybook contains various excerpts from H.P. Lovecraft short stories, albeit with alteration. I thought the diary entry format for the second story was very well executed. Having a first person stream-of-consciousness, in my opinion, makes the story a lot more frightening than having a narrator describe it. I also enjoyed the author retelling a super natural story from the view of a skeptic in "Interview with Dr. R Fenton"

The last storybook that I looked at was Tracking the Werewolf After reading through this storybook, this one was definitely my favorite. I appreciated that the author was able to combine a number of stories from numerous sources into a single coherent story. It tells the story of an old man looking back to the past to an event in which he encountered a werewolf. What starts off as a younger version of the narrator finding a manuscript explodes into a frightening tale. The ending leaves the possibility of the story to continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment