Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 7: Famous Last Words

I can't believe it is week seven already. The semester is almost halfway over! This week has been a very busy one, as my coworker left and I am having to cover additional days!

My classes this week have been interesting. In Physics Lab we had and a few interesting labs involving electromagnetic fields. There were about 6 different apparatuses set up at different tables around the room, and each group took turns switching tables, experimenting with phenomenon of electromagnetic fields. Organic Chem lab was a little bit easier this week, as we just did worksheets on infrared spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. This means no lab report due next week!


In Mythology and Folklore this week, I read Tibetan Folk Tales by A.L. Shelton. I really enjoyed this reading. The folk tales reminded me strongly of Aesop's fables, as many of them involved animals and they all had a lesson to teach.

For my storytelling post this week, I rewrote the Tibetan Folk Tale The Tiger and the Frog. In the original story, there is a hungry tiger who one day while out prowling comes across a small frog. The Tiger's first instinct is to eat the frog up, but this clever frog declares that he is king of all frogs, saying that he can jump any distance and do anything. The frog decides to challenge the Tiger to a contest to who can jump furthest across a nearby river. However, the clever frog bites onto the tigers tail and uses the tiger to catapult himself across the river instead. When they get to the other side, the frog tricks the tiger by spitting up his own fur and claiming he had eaten a tiger the day before. The scared tiger then runs away! I kept my telling of the story mostly the same, but changed the contest to a race.

 (Tiger. Wikimedia Commons)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Cody,
    I noticed you're in physics lab! I took physics 1 and 2 for life sciences with the labs. I have to admit the labs were pretty neat, especially when it came to lasers and electromagnetic waves! However, I am thankful I do not have to take organic chemistry. I have a few friends in that class and it sounds pretty challenging. I also chose to read the Tibetan Folk Tales Unit and enjoyed it very much. I liked how the stories were short and sweet, yet packed with fun and exciting adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about that time in the semester where everything accumulates and I think a lot of us have been struggling to stay on pace! Glad to hear you have no lab report due next week! It's always nice to have classes/assignments canceled. I read Tibetan Folktales as well and the Tiger and the Frog was one of my favorite stories! I thought that story was really clever and fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cody, I thought I was the only one leaving famous last words. Although after a while I stopped as I didn't know what to write any more. My weeks pretty much became repetitive. Yes I believe that this semester has definitely flown by – Where did the time go? Before you know it will all be over with. I hope this semester is being good to you so far though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cody,
    I'm glad you got out of having to do a lab report, I remember when I had to do them for just Chemistry and hating them so I couldn't imagine having to do them for organic chemistry, that class is tough enough as it is without lab (I took it for non-majors). Also, I'll have to check out some of those folk tales because that one you described seems more entertaining than a lot of the Aesop fables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cody, I remember going through those physics and O-chem labs. I think O-chem lab is my least favorite class that I've ever taken haha. I truly hated writing those lab reports. But I'm sure you're doing awesome. Good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete