Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Week 8: Reading Diary Assessment

Reading back through my diary entries, I noticed that not much has changed since I begun my diary. I think I have found I format that I enjoy writing in, and have stuck with it throughout the semester. My strategy for writing my diary entries usually consists of picking a few of my favorite stories spaced throughout the reading and summarizing them in my own words. This helps me retain these stories that I have read in my memory, and also creates a nice entry to go back and look at when I need to recall the details of a story. Usually I read through the entire reading first, and then go back and pick my favorite stories to write about. I then reread the stories that I have picked, taking notes about them as I go along.

The length of my journal entries has been pretty consistent each week, usually ending up at about six hundred words per entry. This seems about the right length to me, but adding some more notes to these entries may be beneficial. I usually don't add an image to my diary entries, but the thought hadn't occurred to me before. This may also be a way to improve my diary assignments; taking the time to seek out a relevant image may also help me retain these stories for later, and having and image would definitely be more pleasing to those who may read my entries.

In general, I think I remember the stories that I write about fairly well. However, for my other classes it seems that I learn the material in preparation for an exam and then lose a lot of this information after the exam has passed. Perhaps a reading journal of sorts for my other classes would help with information retention!

No comments:

Post a Comment