Monday, September 1, 2014

Week 2: Famous Last Words


As of today, the third week of class has started! I am thankful for the labor day holiday, it has given me some extra time to study and work ahead in some of my other classes. It hasn't all been work though! It's definitely been a fun weekend spent with friends and family.

Looking back at this past week, I've done quite a bit. I wrote two labs for Organic Chemistry Lab and another for Physics lab. My physiology class also kept me busy with reading and studying. For Mythology and Folklore I read lots of stories, wrote some of my own, and starting brainstorming for our big storybook project. I also started a twitter account this week so that I could interact with other mythology students and share cool things I found.

I've written a lot this week, but I think my best writing was once again done in my storytelling post. This week I examined the story The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse, an Aesop fable that I found in the Un-Textbook. The particular version was retold by Joesph Jacobs. I retold this story, calling it, "The Country Mouse and the City Mouse." I thought the city would work better for modern times, as the word "town" is now usually used to describe rural locations. I added more detail to this work, but since I really enjoyed the moral of the tale, I decided to leave the story framework
unchanged.


        (Source: Wikimedia Commons)


 One of my favorite stories that I read this week was The Hares and the Frogs. In this fable, the hares are so terrified of everything that they decide to drown themselves than live in their miserable state. However, when they get to the lake, they see that the frogs are even worse off than themselves. I think this fable is a great reminder that our problems are relative, and that our "first world problems" aren't problems at all in the eyes of some.

No comments:

Post a Comment