Monday, September 8, 2014

Week 3: Famous Last Words

Three weeks down, a lot more to go. This week was a busy one for sure! Between lab write ups, homework and studying I haven't had much free time. Working Friday, Saturday, and Sunday doesn't help either. Thank goodness for the grace period until noon!

This week I had an interesting lab in Physics where we drew out magnetic field lines by measuring voltage through a conducting sheet. It's interesting to talk about these magnetic fields, but it's really cool to actually draw out these invisible forces that we talked about so much in class. I did not have Organic Chem lab this week, thank you Labor Day!

 I also did quite a bit of reading and writing for Mythology and Folklore this past week. I selected another set of Aesop's fables to read this week, and expanded my analysis of "tricksters and fools" that are prevalent in Aesop's works. As you can see, a good portion of Aesop's fables involve one animal tricking or making a fool of another!

My best writing, however, was done in my storytelling post. When I read The Cat and the Birds this week, I was strongly reminded of the old Tweety Bird and Sylvester the Cat cartoons. In this tale, a hungry cat dresses up as a doctor to try to trick a family of birds into letting him into their house (to presumably eat them). I used this story as an inspiration for my storytelling post this week, The Cat and the Canary, also blending in elements from another one of Aesop's fables, The Dog, the Cock, and the Fox. The Cat in my story attempts to trick the Canary by dressing up in different disguises, such as a salesman and even a girl scout. The Cat ultimately fails, and instead is tricked by the Canary into meeting his bulldog friend.



 (Tweety Bird: Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment