Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 4: Famous Last Words

Wow, I can't believe it has been a month already. It's interesting counting through the weeks in these "Famous Last Words" posts. This week, like so many others, has been very busy! I've been stressing trying to get all my studying done for my Principles of Physiology test on Tuesday, and complete my Organic and Physics two labs.

I had an interesting lab involving circuits this week in my Physics lab. It was curious to see how much of an impact that a tiny little metal resistor could have on the current that would flow through our circuit. In Organic Chem lab we purified the ethanol from a yeast and sugar mixture that we set up the second week of our lab. It was cool to get a small glimpse into how ethanol was created and distilled!

Mythology and Folklore, as always, kept me busy with reading and writing lots of fables and tales. I chose to read Tutinameh, or Tales of a Parrot. this week. This story tells about a parrot who distracts a woman from leaving to visit her extramarital lover each night by telling her a different story. Most of the tale is about the individual stories that the parrot tells, but the ending is surprising when the woman's husband returns.

(Amazon Parrot. Wikimedia Commons)


My best writing this week was probably done in my storytelling post. I concocted a tale based on The Nobleman who Concealed a Snake in His Sleeve. This story tells the tale of a nobleman who, one day while hunting, happens across the frightened snake. The snake convinces the nobleman to hide him from another man trying to kill the snake. However, after he helps the snake, the snake calls him a fool for trusting him and says that he will kill the man. The nobleman distracts the snakes and crushes his head with a rock. In my tale however, it's a tiger that the man hides in his house, and let's just say it's not quite as easy to crush a tiger as it is a snake.

1 comment:

  1. Cody, I am very happy to hear that I am not the only person who is just stressing about everything. It always feels like there is a never ending flow of homework and studying to do just to keep up in your classes. Wow! Ochem and Physics?! I'm pretty sure that you a super hero at this point because that honestly sounds like that hardest two classes to take together! I love the Parrot, he cheered me up. Good Luck with the rest of this semester!

    ReplyDelete