Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 5: Famous Last Words

Week five over already! It still seems like the semester just started, but here we are over a month in. I think I must say this in every Famous Last Words post, but it has been a very busy week! My lab classes have certainly been filling most of my time, but physiology has been creeping up on me too. Thankfully, I have Mythology to have at least one fun class.

In Physics lab this week, we continued our study of electric current through circuits. While I've already taken both Physics 1 and 2, and the concepts are not new to me, it is interesting to see the things we learned about first hand in the lab. In Organic Chem lab we learned about partition coefficients between organic and aqueous solutions. What a headache!

In Mythology and Folklore this week, I read the story of Twenty-Two Goblins. I really enjoyed this tale. In it, a king named "King Victory" attempts to remove a goblin from a graveyard as a favor to monk who has been bringing the king a very generous tribute. However, each time the king attempts to remove the goblin, the goblin tells the king a riddle. When the king guesses the riddle right, the goblin runs off back to a tree. This happens many, many times!

I took the Twenty Two Goblins tale The Four Brothers and used it as the basis for my storytelling post this week. In the original, there are four brothers who each know a different type of "science." One brother can add flesh to bones, the second can add skin and hair to flesh, the third can add eyes and organs and the final brother can bring the organs to life. The four brothers bring a lion to life, which kills them all! In my tale, The Two Thieves, it is instead two thieves who bring a dead man to life in hopes of learning the location of secret treasure.




3 comments:

  1. Oh boy. Physics lab. I could never handle that. I applaud you for your bravery! I'm sure that class gets a decent amount of priority. I'm glad you at least have this class to have some fun but still be doing homework! It sounds like you're really enjoying the readings for mythology and I want to go read your story post now! Haha Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cody, I think each week keeps getting busier! It’s crazy how much time I spend with school and other activities. I will be in your shoes next semester because I will be taking microbiology lab and organic chemistry lab. I am pretty nervous about organic chemistry lab because I have heard it is really hard! I’m also in Physics one this semester and thankfully I do not have to have Physics 2 or the lab because I do not enjoy Physics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cody,

    It definitely sounds like you have a very full schedule. I have heard nightmare stories about physiology at OU so I definitely took it at OCCC. I hope you are having better luck in it than my friends did. I absolutely hated physics. However, I think I am about to have to take the lab. I need another science elective and my advisor doesn't know of any others. I also read the Twenty-two goblins and I have to say it was one of my favorite units this semester! I am glad to see that you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete